National Certificate in Dental Radiography
DENTAL RADIOGRAPHY COURSE INFORMATION
A qualified dental nurse who is awarded the NEBDN certificate in Dental Radiography, will be able to act under prescription as an IR(ME)R operator in order to safely take intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs of patients. The additional skills acquired, together with the knowledge gained, will enhance your CV and bring benefits to your employer and patients.
To undertake a post-registration course, you must already hold the National Diploma in Dental Nursing qualification.
NEBDN post-registration course – Dental Radiography:
Course start date: You can start learning the same day you join.
Who’s it for: Registered dental nurses who would like to be more involved with patient care and would like to support their dentists in the diagnosis and treatment planning process by providing good diagnostic radiographs.
Record of Competence: You will be required to complete a work-based Record of Competence (RoC). There are three sections to the RoC.
Course Duration: 6 Months.
Study Method: Online/remote via Zoom, WhatsApp and our Online Students Hub.
Lessons: Two lessons per month (2-3 hours each). One-to-one classes are also available on demand.
Awarding Body: National Exam Board for Dental Nurses (NEBDN).
NEBDN Course Syllabus: FULL version of the NEBDN Dental Radiography Syllabus
Course Fee: £845 (excludes NEBDN examination fee).
Exam Fee: £205 (not included in the course price). NEBDN Exam Information
Exam dates: March or September.
Finance: You can choose to pay monthly.
- Already GDC registered.
- Have the support of a GDC registered dentist.
- Have access to radiographic equipment necessary to complete the Portfolio.
1. GENERAL PROFESSIONAL CONTENT
- 1.1 MAINTAINING GOOD CLINICAL PRACTICE
2. GENERAL RADIOGRAPHY
- 2.1 RADIATION PHYSICS
- 2.2 RADIATION PROTECTION
- 2.3 APPARATUS AND EQUIPMENT
- 2.4 FILMS AND PROCESSING
- 2.5 DIGITAL IMAGING
- 2.6 PRINCIPLES OF IMAGING
- 2.7 FILM HANDLING
- 2.8 DIGITAL IMAGING –PRACTICAL INSTRUCTION
- 2.9 INTRA-ORAL TECHNIQUES
- 2.10 EXTRA-ORAL TECHNIQUES
- 2.11 QUALITY ASSURANCE
- 2.12 CARE OF PATIENTS
- 2.13 PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE OF INTERPRETATION
- 2.14 FUNDAMENTALS OF RADIOLOGICAL ANATOMY
- 2.15 IDENTIFICATION OF COMMON DENTAL PATHOLOGY
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
The following syllabus is designed to provide dental nurses with an educational experience, including knowledge, critical understanding, intellectual skills, practical skills, and a personal attitude that will enable them to provide effective and safe radiography for dental patients.
On successful completion of the programme, dental nurses should be able to:
Knowledge and critical understanding:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of radiography in dental practice.
- Understand the scope of radiographic techniques and best practice in their use.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to practice effective dental radiography.
- Understand the importance of complying with contemporary guidance relating to the environment, facilities, and equipment required for dental radiography.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the issues involved in the scientific basis of dental radiography.
- Understand the limitations, benefits, and risks of dental radiography.
- Recognise own limitations, reflect on experiences, and appreciate the need for continuing professional development.
- Practice effective and risk managed dental radiography.
- Remain calm, decisive, and purposeful while managing and handling difficulties or complications.
- Empathise with patients and demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with patients, parents, carers and colleagues.
Post-registration qualification in Dental Radiography reading list
• Whaites E, Drage N. Dental Radiography and Radiology for Dental Care Professionals. 4th edition 2021. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier. ISBN 978-0702076831
• Iannucci Joen M, Howerton Laura Jansen. Dental Radiography. Principles and Techniques. 5th Edition 2017. Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-323-29742-4
• FGDP guidelines. Selection Criteria for Dental Radiography Oct 2013ISBN 13: 095434593 Publisher: FGDP (UK) Publication Date: 2013
• GDC Standards
• Scope of Practice
• Continuing Professional Development
• Fitness to Practice